Sunday, March 04, 2007

After having not studied Chinese for the past 4 years, I decided to embrace my inner cheena again by picking up a Chinese book at the library. Actually the situation is not really that bad…I do read, and still CAN read but just that I feel a little rusty. My interaction with the language is the occasional look in the entertainment news of the Chinese papers, I weekly, tele shows and the daily conversations with the people around me. Nothing too profound or as I like to put it: high caliber. Ha ha. I know there will be people asking WHY. Why after 4 yrs, the sudden urge? Well, I dunno exactly too. Just feel that I have lost touched with the language. The written one that is. And after all it’s a refreshing change to all the English readings I HAVE to do. For once I want to read something I actually enjoy. Not forced to. And so, I decided to start easy. Picked up a Chinese version of the "chicken soup for the soul volume 6" at the library ( it’s a collection of short stories on a variety of topics). Wrong decision. Ha. It was all in fan ti zhi (or what I rather call the prehistoric Chinese form.) but I am determined to stick to my plan. And hence I am pretty much struggling through the book. Nonetheless, I think it’s still pretty much manageable for now. Completed 3 stories so far. Not too bad an accomplishment for a re-starter. Ha ha. it’s still a long way from the day you will hear me spew some ultimately cheem words or idioms in every sentence I make. i dun think that day will ever happen anyway la…considering the how much I dislike…erm people from THAT place.

Anyway, visited the tua pek kong temple at loyang yesterday night with my parents. Crowded la. Smoke and noise and all. Ha. But I guess it’s part of my be-a-cheena-again-plan. I decided that since guan yin ma didn’t really work wonders on fri (nope, I did not become ten million richer…), hopefully tua pek kong will bless me. Ha ha. fat hope.

When we came back, my brother, dad and I decided to catch the second half of the soccer match between Liverpool and Man United at the coffee shop opposite my place. It was not too bad a match. I felt that Liverpool played a better game so I was pretty disappointed when they lost in the 90th min. guess Man United was just plain lucky. Just have one thing to say to the dumb girl who was sitting one seat away from me. WE DON’T NEED YOUR WORD FOR WORD COMMENTARY ON THE GAME. WE HAVE EYES! AND YOUR INCESSANT SCREECHING EVERYTIME THE BALL APPROACHES THE GOAL TOTALLY DRIVES ME NUTS.

No comments: